Thailand to Laos, Chaing Khong/Huay Xai (APR 2016)
- Parked and went to immigration kiosk- passport stamped with exit stamp
- Customs kiosk- customs officers collected the vehicle importation form, then used all of their collection of stamps on the Carnet
This border was quiet, modern and organised - all exit formalities completed in 10 minutes, no payments and didn’t check/inspect the car or it's contents. We then crossed the Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge over the River Mekong- 50 Baht toll fee so keep at least this in Thai money!
- Parked, went to immigration counter and filled out a Laos visa application form, plus an arrival/departure card.
- Hand in application form, arrival/departure card, 1 passport photo and $35 each (plus $1 ‘weekend fee’ each!)
- Visa was ready in 5 minutes (good multi-tasking from immigration staff who were simultaneously eating breakfast noodle soup)
- Passport stamped with entry stamp.
- At the first customs kiosk we paid 200 Baht vehicle entry fee for road use.
- We had to fill in a 'Vehicle Entry Form' (photograph below), this wasn't collected when we left the country!
- Second customs kiosk filled out Carnet, straightforward and no hesitation or problems.
- Drove out of customs area and entered Laos, didn’t look at car or check contents.
This border crossing was straightforward and friendly, very quiet and efficient- entire crossing took less than an hour.
This information is about our experience applying for visas and crossing borders. Obviously please try and find the most recent information you can as visa application and border information changes daily. If you have any questions please feel free to email us.